- As an MTA CharmCard® customer, you’ll enjoy a faster, easier and more secure way to purchase rides on MTA Local Bus, Light Rail and Metro Subway; and regional service in Washington DC, Northern VA, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, and anywhere your see the CharmCard® and SmarTrip® names displayed.
- Instead of using a paper ticket, you’ll simply touch your CharmCard® to the targets located on Local Bus fareboxes, Metro Subway faregates, and Light Rail ticket vending machines.
- You may load up to $200 of cash value at a ticket vending machine or up to $20 of cash value on a Bus farebox which means you only need to reload as needed.
- At ticket vending machine you may load a 1-Day, 7-Day or 30-Day pass product to your CharmCard® for unlimited rides during the number of days you purchased . You may purchase a 1-Day pass at a Bus farebox.
- Unlike weekly and monthly passes that begin on a set day or date, the 7-Day and 30-Day passes begin on the day you initially use the pass for 7 or 30 consecutive days.
- We strongly encourage registering your CharmCard® so if it is lost, damaged or stolen your balance is protected. Simply call 1-888-SmarTrip and a new CharmCard® will be issued with your current card balance loaded on it minus a $2.50 card replacement fee.
- You no longer have to go to a pass sales outlet to purchase your pass. Now you can purchase your pass product and load it to your card at ticket vending machine.